Ashton Under Lyne Golf Club
Ashton Golf Club first opened for play in Higher Hurst on 12th April 1913.
Initial discussions regarding the founding of the club started in 1912 and those founder members are listed below. The Picture on the left is that of Alderman John Whittaker Kenworthy who was the club's first President. He died in 1936 and was buried in the Cemetery at Queen Street Methodist New Connexion Chapel. That on the right is of Reverend Henry Parnaby, the first Captain.
The 1911 census entries for these members are available by clicking on the relevant name:
Thomas Renouf (left) designed several local courses including Ashton Under Lyne.
The picture on the left shows the original clubhouse erected in 1912 and that above, a modernised version in the 1970s.Underneath is the current clubhouse off Gorsey Lane.